- Do I need a Master’s (MS) degree before applying for the PhD program?
No. You can apply directly to the PhD program.
- Do I need a background in biology?
You must have three credits of undergraduate or graduate level biology for the PhD and MS programs. If you have no biology course you may be admitted provisionally on the stipulation that you complete a biology course during your first term.
- What is the requirement on the TOEFL for financial assistance?
To be admitted to the program, the student must have a TOEFL of at least 100.
- What kinds of financial assistance are available for new international students?
New international PhD students are eligible for graduate student researcher (GSR) stipends. GSRs require 20 hours of work per week, and provide a monthly stipend along with a tuition waiver.
New international MS students are eligible for department awards at the time of admission.
For more information please see the financial aid page.
- Do you have support for MS students?
The department does not provide funding for MS students. Many MS students obtain hourly employment in the University or surrounding area.
- Do you have a rolling process or collect all of the application materials and then process them together?
We have a rolling process for MS applications with a January 15th deadline for international and domestic applicants. The PhD Program has a December 15th priority deadline and hard January 5th deadline.
- What are the requirements for being given financial aid?
Please see the financial aid page.
- What is the deadline for applications for the Fall term?
PhD Deadline: Priority deadline December 15, hard deadline January 5
MS Deadline: January 15
- Do I have to apply separately for financial aid (i.e. GSR)?
No. PhD applicants are automatically considered at the time of application.
- Can I start classes in Spring or Summer terms?
No. We only accept applications for the Fall term.