Resume vs Curriculum Vitae (CV)
What is the difference?
A resume is a one- or two-page overview emphasizing skills, education, work experience, volunteer activities and other relevant information used to support a specific career objective in the private or public sector. A resume is more concise than a CV, and is used when applying for most positions that do not emphasize academic research and/or teaching.
A Curriculum Vitae is a longer summary of an individual's educational background and experiences that emphasizes research and teaching in academic settings, and is used when applying for teaching and administrative positions in academia, a fellowship or grant and sometimes government and management positions.
Gather tips for executing an effective resume or CV by visiting the links below.
- Cover Letter Structure
For all cover letters, we suggest the following structure:
Your home address
City, state, zip code
City, state, zip code
Dear Mr., Ms., Dr., Professor_______:
*alert your reader to the fact that another document, your resume or CV, accompanies your letter.
- Content Tips
A good cover letter will:
- Be addressed to the hiring manager, including a specific individual's name, title, and organization.
- Use business letter format and be individually typed on letter-quality printer paper or high quality bond paper that matches your resume paper. Use white or cream colors.
- Keep content to one page — three, no more than four paragraphs is ideal.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of their organization.
- Be clear on your objective and identify two or three skills that most represent you.
- Highlight these skills and detail how you might be an asset to their organization.
- Show high quality writing and proofing skills. Have someone proofread your letters to avoid errors. Avoid overuse of the pronoun I and pay special attention to paragraph transition.
- How-To Guides
Video: Kickresume's "Cover Letter That Gets You The Job Interview in 2022" on YouTube
Sample Cover Letters
- MPH Sample Cover Letter (entry level)
- MS Sample Cover Letter 1
- MS Sample Cover Letter 2
- MHA Sample Cover Letter
- Doctoral Student Sample Cover Letter (postdoc)
- Doctoral Student Sample Cover Letter (industry)