Primary research interest is the design, implementation and analysis of clinical trials, particularly those dealing with the prevention or treatment of breast and colorectal cancer. Collaboration in the trials of the National Surgical Breast and Bowel Project and more recently the NRG Oncology Statistics and Data Management Center has been a major focus. The development of statistical methodologies for race-specific cancer risk assessment and the risk-benefit assessment of therapies associated with multiple endpoints of potential benefit and harm has evolved from this collaboration. A previous area of research focus involved the assessment of health effects from occupational and environmental exposures to airborne pollutants. This work dealt with the study and long-term follow-up of large occupational cohorts who were exposed to work-related air-borne pollution. The thrust of this effort was to quantify health risks from pollution exposure and to evaluate methodologies to lower exposure and reduce the risks of diseases associated with exposure.
1976 - University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA - Doctor of Public Health
1974 - University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA - Master of Public Health
1972 - Bethany College, Bethany West Virginia - Bachelor of Science
- Ingle JN, Kalari KR, Wickerham DL, Von Minckwitz G, Fasching PA, Furukawa Y, . . .Costantino JP, …Weinshilboum RM. (2018). Germline genome-wide association studies in women receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy with or without bevacizumab.Pharmacogenetics and Genomics,28(6), 147-152. doi:10.1097/FPC.0000000000000337
- Geyer CE, Tang G, Mamounas EP, Rastogi P, Paik S, Shak S, . . . Costantino JP, Wolmark N. (2018). 21-Gene assay as predictor of chemotherapy benefit in HER2-negative breast cancer..NPJ Breast Cancer,4, 37. doi:10.1038/s41523-018-0090-6
- Cecchini RS, Swain SW, Costantino JP, Rastogi P, Jeong JH, Anderson SJ, Tang G, Geyer CE, Lembersky BC, Romond EH, Paterson AH, Wolmark N. Body mass index at diagnosis and breast cancer survival prognosis in clinical trial populations from NRG Oncology/NSABP B-30,B-31, B-34 and B-38. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarker Prev. 2016 Jan 25;25(1):51-9. doi:10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-15-0334-T.
- Margolese L, Cecchini RS, Julian TB, Ganz PA, Costantino JP, Vallow LA, Albain KS,Whitworth PW, Cianfrocca ME, Brufsky AM, Gross HM, Soori GS, Hopkins JO, Fehrenbacher L, Sturtz K, Wozniak TF, Seay TE, Mamounas EP, Wolmark N. Primary
results, NRG Oncology/NSABP B-35: A clinical trial of anastrozole vs tamoxifen in postmenopausal patients with DCIS undergoing lumpectomy plus radiotherapy. Lancet. 2015 Dec 10;online. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(15)01168-x.
- O'Sullivan CC, Bradbury I, Campbell C, Spielmann M, Perez EA, Joensuu H, Costantino JP, Delaloge S, Rastogi P, Zardavas D, Ballman KV, Holmes E, de Azambuja E, Piccart-Gebhart M, Zujewski JA, Gelber RD. Efficacy of adjuvant trastuzumab for patients with human epidermal growth factor receptor2-positive early breast cancer and tumors <= 2cm: A meta-analysis of the randomized trastuzumab trials. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2015 Aug 20;33(24):2600-2608.
- Land SR, Wichkerham DL, Costantino JP, Ganz PA. Cigarette smoking, physical activity, and alcohol consumption as predictors of cancer incidence among women at high risk of breast cancer in the NSABP P-1 trial. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarker Prev. 2014 Feb; 23 (5):823-32.
- Cecchini RS, Costantino JP, Cauley JA, Cronin WM, Wickerham DL, Bandos H, Weissfeld JL, Wolmark N. Baseline mammographic breast density and the risk of invasive breast cancer in postmenopausal women participating in the NSABP study of tamoxifen and raloxifene (STAR). Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2012 Nov; 5 (11):1321-9.
- Cecchini RS, Costantino JP, Cauley JA, Cronin WM, Wickerham DL, Land SR, Weissfeld JL, Wolmark N. Body mass index and the risk for developing invasive breast cancer among high-risk women in NSABP P-1 and STAR breast cancer prevention trials. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2012 Apr; 5 (4):583-92. Matsuno RK, Costantino JP, Ziegler RG, Anderson GL, Li H, Pee D, Gail MH. Projecting individualized absolute invasive breast cancer risk in Asian and Pacific Islander American women. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011 Jun 22; 103 (12):951-61.
- Costantino JP, Anderson SJ, Yothers G. Statistical design and analysis of phase III clinical trials. Ch 73. In: Kuere HM, editor. Kuerer’s Breast Surgical Oncology. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2010. 441-450.
- Vogel VG, Costantino JP, Wickerham DL, Cronin WM, Cecchini RS, Atkins JN, Bevers TB, Fehrenbacher L, Pajon ER, Wade JL 3rd, Robidoux A, Margolese RG, James J, Runowicz CD, Ganz PA, Reis SE, McCaskill-Stevens W, Ford LG, Jordan VC, Wolmark N, National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project. Update of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project Study of Tamoxifen and Raloxifene (STAR) P-2 Trial: Preventing breast cancer. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2010 Jun; 3 (6):696-706.
- Shen Y, Costantino JP, Qin J. Tamoxifen chemoprevention treatment and time to first diagnosis of estrogen receptor-negative breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008 Oct 15; 100 (20):1448-53. Costantino JP. Benefit/risk assessment in prevention trials. In: D’Agostino R, Sullivan LM, Marssaro J, editors. Wiley Encyclopedia of Clinical Trials. John Wiley and Sons, 2008.
- Jeong JH, Jung SH, Costantino JP. Nonparametric inference on median residual life function. Biometrics. 2008 Mar; 64 (1):157-63.
- Gail MH, Costantino JP, Pee D, Bondy M, Newman L, Selvan M, Anderson GL, Malone KE, Marchbanks PA, McCaskill-Stevens W, Norman SA, Simon MS, Spirtas R, Ursin G, Bernstein L. Projecting individualized absolute invasive breast cancer risk in African American women. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2007 Dec 5; 99 (23):1782-92.
- Shen Y, Qin J, Costantino JP. Inference of Tamoxifen’s Effects on Prevention of Breast Cancer from a Randomized Controlled Trial. J Amer Stat Assoc. 2007 Dec 1; 102 (480):1235-1244..
- Hudis CA, Barlow WE, Costantino JP, Gray RJ, Pritchard KI, Chapman JA, Sparano JA, Hunsberger S, Enos RA, Gelber RD, Zujewski JA. Proposal for standardized definitions for efficacy end points in adjuvant breast cancer trials: the STEEP system. J Clin Oncol. 2007 May 20; 25 (15):2127-32..
- Fisher B, Costantino JP, Wickerham DL, Cecchini RS, Cronin WM, Robidoux A, Bevers TB, Kavanah MT, Atkins JN, Margolese RG, Runowicz CD, James JM, Ford LG, Wolmark N. Tamoxifen for the prevention of breast cancer: current status of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project P-1 study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2005 Nov 16; 97 (22):1652-62.
- Costantino JP. Benefit/risk assessment of SERM therapy: clinical trial versus clinical practice settings. In: Proceedings of the NIH Symposium on Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulators. Ann NY Acad Sci, 2001 Dec. p.280-6
- Gail MH, Costantino JP. Validating and improving models for projecting the absolute risk of breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2001 Mar 7; 93 (5):334-5.
- Costantino JP, Vogel VG, Wickerham DL. Reducing the risk of breast cancer: Balancing the risk-benefit analogies. Prev Care Cancer. 2001; 21 (9):13-21.
- Gail MH, Costantino JP, Bryant J, Croyle R, Freedman L, Helzlsouer K, Vogel V. Weighing the risks and benefits of tamoxifen treatment for preventing breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999 Nov 3; 91 (21):1829-46.
- Costantino JP, Gail MH, Pee D, Anderson S, Redmond CK, Benichou J, Wieand HS. Validation studies for models projecting the risk of invasive and total breast cancer incidence. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1999 Sep 15; 91 (18):1541-8.
- Fisher B, Costantino JP, Wickerham DL, Redmond CK, Kavanah M, Cronin WM, Vogel V, Robidoux A, Dimitrov N, Atkins J, Daly M, Wieand S, Tan-Chiu E, Ford L, Wolmark N. Tamoxifen for prevention of breast cancer: report of the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project P-1 Study. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1998 Sep 16; 90 (18):1371-88.
- Costantino JP, Kuller LH, Ives DG, Fisher B, Dignam J. Coronary heart disease mortality and adjuvant tamoxifen therapy. J Natl Cancer Inst. 1997 Jun 4; 89 (11):776-82.
- Fisher ER, Costantino JP, Fisher B, Palekar SM, Suarez CM, Wolmark N. Pathologic findings from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast Project (NSABP) Protocol B-17. Five-year observations concerning lobular carcinoma in situ. Cancer. 1996 Oct; 78 (7):1403-16. .
- Costantino JP, Redmond CK, Bearden A. Occupationally related cancer risk among coke oven workers: 30 years of follow-up. J Occup Environ Med. 1995 May; 37 (5):597-604.
- Fisher B, Costantino JP, Redmond CK, Fisher ER, Wickerham DL, Cronin WM. Endometrial cancer in tamoxifen-treated breast cancer patients: findings from the National Surgical Adjuvant Breast and Bowel Project (NSABP) B-14. Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 1994 Apr; 86 (7):527-37.
- Fisher B, Costantino JP, Redmond CK, Fisher ER, Margolese R. Lumpectomy compared with lumpectomy and radiation therapy for the treatment of intraductal breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 1993 Jun; 328 (22):1581-1586.
- Fisher B, Costantino JP, Redmond C, Poisson R, Bowman D. A randomized clinical trial evaluating tamoxifen in the treatment of patients with node-negative breast cancer who have estrogen-receptor-positive tumors. N Engl J Med. 1989; 320 (8):479-484.