Dr. Mailliard's research focuses on the central role played by dendritic cells (DCs) in the induction and regulation of the immune response. In particular, he is interested in the modulation of DC function for the purpose of developing effective cellular based immunotherapies to treat chronic diseases such as cancer and HIV. His work has led to the development of the so-called "alpha-DC1," a type-1 polarized dendritic cell-based vaccine platform currently being explored in clinical trials for the treatment of cancers and HIV. Also of interest to Dr. Mailliard are the non-classical “helper” functions of NK cells and CD8+ T cells (CTLs), and their influence on DC function during infection. Currently, he is exploring the use of DCs as an immunotherapeutic strategy to both drive HIV latency reversal and to prime cytotoxic T cells against HIV-1 infected cells. Dr Mailliard is also the Director of the MS Program of IDM, and the Co-Director of the Pitt HIV Immunology Technologies (HITs) Laboratory that provides immunology laboratory services for the Multicenter AIDS Cohort Study (MACS) and the AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG).
1990 University of Pittsburgh, BS., (Microbiology)
2006 University of Amsterdam, PhD., (Immunology/Medicine)
- IDM 2003- Host Response to Microbial Infection (Co-Director, Lecturer)
- IDM 3440- Vaccines and Immunity (Director, Lecturer)
- IDM 2023- Microbiology Laboratory (Lecturer)
- IDM 2002- Molecular Virology (Lecturer)
- IDM 2001-Molecular Biology of Microbial Pathogens (Lecturer)
- MSMI 2210 Comprehensive Immunology (Lecturer)
- Mailliard RB, Egawa S, Cai Q, Kalinska A, Bykovskaya SN, Lotze MT, Kapsenberg ML, Storkus WJ, Kalinski P. Complementary dendritic cell-activating function of CD8+ and CD4+ T cells: helper role of CD8+ T cells in the development of T helper type 1 responses. J Exp Med. 2002 Feb 18; 195(4):473-83. PMCID: 11854360
- Mailliard RB, Son YI, Redlinger R, Coates PT, Giermasz A, Morel PA, Storkus WJ, Kalinski P. Dendritic cells mediate NK cell help for Th1 and CTL responses: two-signal requirement for the induction of NK cell helper function. Journal of immunology. 2003 Sep 1; 171 (5):2366-73. PMID: 12928383.(F1000 Prime Article, Faculty Opinions)
- Mailliard RB, Wankowicz-Kalinska A, Cai Q, Amy Wesa, Catherien M. Hilkens, Martien L. Kapsenberg, Kirkwood JM, Storkus WJ, and Kalinski P. Alpha-type-1 Polarized Dendritic Cells (aDC1): A Novel Immunization Tool with Optimized CTL-inducing Activity. Cancer Research. 2004 Sept;64(17):5934. PMCID: 15342370
- Mailliard RB, Alber SM, Shen H, Watkins SC, Kirkwood JM, Herberman RB, and Kalinksi P. IL-18 induced CD83+CCR7+ NK Helper Cells. J.Exp.Med. 2005 Oct ; 202: 941-953. PMCID: 2213172.
- Helfer BM, Nelson AD, Ahrens ET, Janjic JM, Gil RR, Kalinski P, de Vries J,Mailliard RB. Functional assessment of human dendritic cells labeled for in vivo 19F MRI cell tracking Cytotherapy. 2010 Jan 7. PMCID: 20053146.
- Mailliard RB, Smith KN, Fecek RJ , Rappocciolo G, Eduardo JM. Nascimento*, Marques ET, Watkins SC, Mullins JI, Rinaldo CR,. Selective induction of CTL “helper” rather than killer activity by natural epitope variants promotes DC-mediated HIV-1 dissemination. J Immunology 2013 191 (5), 2570-2580. *Journal Cover Photo
- Zaccard CR, Watkins SC,Kalinski P, Fecek RJ, Yates AL, Salter RD, Ayyavoo V, Rinaldo CR,Mailliard RB. CD40L induces functional tunneling nanotube networks exclusively in dendritic cells programmed by mediators of type 1 immunity. Journal of Immunology. 2015 Feb 1; 194 (3):1047-56. PMID: 25548234.
- Smith KN,Mailliard RB, Piazza P, Fischer W, Kerber BT, Fecek RJ, Ratner D, Gupta P, Mullins JI, Rinaldo CR, Effective cytotoxic T lymphocyte targeting of persistent HIV-1 during antiretroviral therapy requires priming of naive CD8+ T cells. mBio, 2016 May 31;7(3). 2016 May, PMID 27247230
- Sanyal A,Mailliard RB, Rinaldo CR, Ratner D, Ding M, Chen Y, Zerbato JM, Giacobbi NS, Venkatachari NJ, Patterson BK, Chargin A, Sluis-Cremer N, Gupta P. Novel assay reveals a large, inducible, replication-competent HIV-1 reservoir in resting CD4+ T cells. Nat Med. 2017 Jul;23(7):885-889. PMID: 28553933
- Garcia-Bates TM, Palma ML, Gambotto A, Macatangay BJC, Ferris RL, Rinaldo CR and Mailliard RB. Contrasting roles of the PD-1 signaling pathway in dendritic cell mediated induction and regulation of HIV-1 specific cytotoxic T cell responses. Journal of Virology. 2019 Feb 19, PMID 30541848 (F1000 Prime Article, Faculty Opinions)
- Kristoff J, Palma ML, Garcia-Bates TM, Shen C, Sluis-Cremer N, Gupta P, Rinaldo CR,Mailliard RB*. Type 1-programmed dendritic cells drive antigen-specific latency reversal and immune elimination of persistent HIV-1. EBioMedicine. 2019. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom. 2019.03.077. PMID: 30952614.(F1000 Prime Article, Faculty Opinions)
- Anderko RR, Rinaldo CR, and Mailliard RB. IL-18 responsiveness defines limitations in immune ‘help’ for specialized FcR?– NK cells. Journal of Immunology (Baltimore, Md.: 1950). 2020 Dec 15;205(12):3429-3442. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol. 2000430. Epub 2020 Nov 13. PMID:33188073
- Garcia-Bates TM, Palma ML, Anderko RR, Hsu DC, Ananworanich J, Kober BT, Gaiha GD, Phanuphak N, Thomas R, Tovanabutra S, Walker BD, Mellors JW, Piazza PA, Kroon E, Riddler SA, Michael NL, Rinaldo CR,Mailliard RB, on behalf of the I4C and RV254 Study Groups. Dendritic cells focus CTL responses toward highly conserved HIV epitopes. EBioMedicine. 2021 Jan 12; 63:103175. doi: 10.1016/j.ebiom.2020.103175. PMID: 33450518.*Journal Cover Photo
Google Scholar page