HPM Strategic Plan Matrix
Department-Specific Strategic Goals Systems Thinking Lifespan Research Studies Engaging Partners in Global Health Realizing Health Equity
Prepare the next generation of Public Health Leaders through rigorous educational programs.
- Train future leaders in the application of high quality, multidisciplinary analytic methods and prediction tools for assessing policy decisions.
- Develop a decision sciences and simulation concentration in the PhD program.
- Develop an MS degree in Health Services Research and Policy.
- Develop a Joint MHA/MBA degree program.
- Continue to provide a cutting edge, multidisciplinary, competency-based high quality curriculum.
- Improve the prominence of the department in national and international health policy and management organizations.
- Raise national visibility of our programs and faculty by presenting at AUPHA, ACHE, Academy Health and other national meetings for health policy and health management education.
- Develop a course in global and developmental health economics
- Expand relationships to train MHA, MS and PhD students and post-doctoral fellows from other countries
- Continue to improve the quality and diversity of our student population.
- Obtain a T-32 or similar grant to fund PhD students.
Expand knowledge in the field of Public Health through scientific inquiry and innovation.
- Become a nationally recognized leader in the application of high quality, multidisciplinary analytic methods, simulation and research tools to assess the impact of health policy decisions.
- Expand the research capability through ongoing recruitment of excellent junior and established faculty members with quantitative, multidisciplinary skills.
- Develop research programs with the University's Comparative Effectiveness Research Center, concentrating in methods for observational data and simulation modeling.
- Fully integrate the research activities and implementation mission of the Center for Public Health Practice into the departmental research agenda.
- Increase external funding by 100%.
- Increase collaborative funding with the PHDL
- Increase collaborative funding with Industrial Engineering
- Increase collaborative funding with RAND
- Advance the national and international visibility and reputation of our research faculty through high impact journal publications, policy and advisory committees, study sections and leadership in national organizations.
Advance the health of populations through service and through partnerships with regional, national, and global organizations.
- Enhance population health through the provision evidenced based policy analysis and management practices.
- Collaborate with the Health Policy Institute to develop research capacity in the analysis of population health, health of underserved populations, and important local, state and national health policy issues.
- Become an analytics and implementation partner with UPMC and the UPMC Health Plan to contribute to their system-wide efforts at improving care.
- Incorporate the concepts and activities of public health practice and policy implementation into the external service activities of the department.
- Increase participation in and impact of faculty members through roles in governance of non-profit community, public health, and other health care organizations.
- Develop professional relationships with institutions in other countries to improve global public policy capacity and improve global health.
Enhance the Department's capacity to deliver its mission by ensuring adequate resources and operational efficiency an effectiveness.
- Develop sustainable faculty and research partners that support new program growth.
- Partner with the development office to create at least one endowed chair.
- Develop relationships with UPMC and other health systems to provide funded opportunities for project-based courses.
- Seek resources from international organizations to fund faculty time for developing international training programs.
- Develop a more active alumni association for the department to support student scholarships and travel awards and adjunct faculty.
- Develop a department-specific criteria for measurement of academic productivity.
- Explore the development of executive education, healthcare management consulting and other practice-based avenues to expand departmental resources.