Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I join the BSPH program?
There are several ways to join the program:
If you are a high school student, a student currently enrolled at another college or university, an international student, a continuing education student who has previously earned a bachelor's degree from an institution other than the University of Pittsburgh, visit the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid for more information on starting the application process.
If you are a current Pitt student, you can apply to transfer into our program. To be eligible to transfer, an incoming student must have completed a minimum of 12 credits at the University of Pittsburgh with a minimum GPA of 2.75. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee admission, but makes you eligible to apply.
To apply to transfer to the School of Public Health from another Pitt school or campus:
- Submit a program change form from your current school. If you are a student in Dietrich or CGS, complete the Dietrich Academic Program Change Form. Students from other schools should contact their school’s student affairs or student records office for the appropriate form.
- Submit a personal statement using the School of Public Health Internal Transfer Application Form. Your personal statement should be about your interest in public health. It can include why you are choosing this path, what you hope to gain from the program, where you see yourself in the field when you graduate, and/or experiences that led to your decision to apply to transfer.
- What is the deadline to apply for transfer to the BSPH program?
Fall Transfer: February 15
Spring Transfer: October 1
Note: There are limited spots available for current Pitt students to apply to transfer into the program for Fall 2023. To be eligible to transfer, an incoming student must have completed a minimum of 12 credits at the University of Pittsburgh and have a GPA of 2.75 or higher. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee admission. It is also highly recommended, but not required, that students take PUBHLT 0100 or other PUBHLT courses prior to applying. A strong personal statement is also recommended for admission consideration.
- Are there specific classes I must take before I can enter the BSPH program?
For internal transfer students already enrolled at Pitt, we recommend that students have started to complete their general education requirements and may or may not have taken and excelled in one or two of the public health foundational courses before transfer (PUBHLT 100, PUBHLT 110, PUBHLT 120).
- What are the GPA requirements for the BSPH?
A minimum GPA of 2.75 is required to apply to transfer.
- What kinds of careers does the BSPH prepare me for?
Many students who graduate with a BSPH are well positioned for an entry-level job at organizations like health departments, health systems and hospitals, non-profits and community-based organizations. Students are also well prepared to apply to graduate school should they choose to advance their learning in the health sciences.
- Can I still be pre-med if I am in the BSPH program?
Absolutely! Our program is built to be flexible to allow for you to participate in certificate programs, minors and pre-graduate school coursework. Your advisor will work with you to plan your schedule to meet the necessary requirements.
Don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions about the BSPH program!
Note: The School of Public Health is not directly involved in the admission, financial aid, or scholarship process for those applying to enter as first-year students.
- Contact Pitt's Office of Admissions with questions about the status of your admission
- Contact Pitt's Office of Financial Aid for merit or need-based financial aid information.
If you are a current Pitt student with questions about transferring into the program, contact Mara Koperwas.
With other questions or to request more information about the program, contact Christian Goetz.
|Mara Leff Koperwas (BCHS '16)
Director of Public Health Innovation and
Director of Undergraduate Programming
Undergraduate Recruitment Coordinator