Dr. Drake is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Health Policy and Management, as well as an affiliate faculty member at the Medicaid Research Center and the Center for Pharmaceutical Policy and Prescribing (CP3). Dr. Drake earned his PhD in Health Services Research, Policy and Administration with a focus in health economics from the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. He also was a health economics fellow at the Becker Friedman Institute at the University of Chicago during his final year of doctoral studies. His research has been funded by the NIH (NIDA, AHRQ), the National Institute of Health Care Management, the Arnold Foundation, and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
Dr. Drake’s research focuses on access to care for vulnerable populations. His two current areas of interest are ongoing policy changes to the Health Insurance Marketplaces created by the Affordable Care Act, and policies affecting substance use, particular opioid use disorder and cannabis use. His research has been published in leading journals such as The Journal of Health Economics, Health Affairs, The Annals of Internal Medicine, and JAMA - Internal Medicine.
2018 | University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN | PhD, Health Services Research, Policy and Administration (Focus: Health Economics)
2010 | Capital University, Columbus, OH | BA Economics, Public Administration
HPM 2028 | Microeconomics Applied to Health
HPM 3125 | Intermediate Health Economics
- Coleman Drake, David Anderson. "Cost-Sharing Reduction Subsidy Payment Cuts Increased Marketplace Enrollment through Zero-Dollar Premiums." Health Affairs. 2020; 39 (1): 40-49.
- Coleman Drake, David Anderson. “Association Between Having an Automatic Reenrollment Option and Reenrollment in the Health Insurance Marketplaces." JAMA - Internal Medicine. 2019; 179 (12): 1725-1726.
- Coleman Drake, Yuehan Zhang, Krisda Chaiyachati, Daniel Polsky. "The Limitations of Poor Broadband Internet Access for Telemedicine Use in Rural America: An Observational Study"Annals of Internal Medicine. 2019: 171 (5): 382-384.
- Coleman Drake. "What Are Consumers Willing to Pay for a Broad Network Health Plan?: Evidence from Covered California."Journal of Health Economics. 2019 May 1; 65: 63-77.
- Coleman Drake, Lucas J. Higuera, Fernando Alarid-Escudero, Roger Feldman. "A Kinked Health Insurance Market: Employer-Sponsored Insurance Under the Cadillac Tax"American Journal of Health Economics. 2017, 3(4): 455-476.