Admissions & Aid

Tuition and Financial Aid

The value of a degree at Pitt Public Health cannot be measured in dollars and cents, but we realize that cost is a factor in determining where to pursue your degree. Tuition rates at the University of Pittsburgh will vary by whether you are a Pennsylvania or out-of-state resident.

Pitt Public Health cannot guarantee funding to every student, but last year the school provided more than $5 million in financial aid to graduate students. Almost all Pitt Public Health doctoral students and many master’s students receive some type of financial aid, whether in the form of full or partial scholarships, fellowships, student assistantships, student employment, or student loans.

Financial Aid by Department

Students who receive aid generally receive it through their department, and the amount of aid available varies among the programs. Priority consideration is given to doctoral students. Departments may award graduate student research positions to international students. For more information on financial aid available through the departments, check your department’s financial aid Web page.


Contact your department student services staff or academic advisor first with questions about student assistantships, scholarships, and hourly employment.

Student Loans

Pitt Office of Admissions and Financial Aid

Student Hourly Employment

Contact your department student services staff or your departmental academic advisor.

Or contact the University’s Office of Human Resources at 412-624-7000.

Scholarships, Assistantships, Fellowships

Contact your department student services staff or academic advisor.

Key Deadlines

Loan Applications

Student loan applications are processed for Pitt Public Health students by the University’s Office of Admissions and Financial Aid (OAFA; 412-624-7488). See complete instructions for applying for a student loan on the University’s Office of Admissions and Financial Aid page.

Students are encouraged to submit application documents as soon as possible before the start of the term for which a loan is requested.

For information about student loans, view the University’s Office of Admission and Financial Aid’s PowerPoint presentation.

Invoice Payment

Electronic invoices (eBills) are posted on the student’s account after registration for classes, on or about the 20th of every month, and are due on the 17th of the next month.


Students who drop courses by the term’s deadline for add/drop may have their tuition for the term adjusted if they are part-time students, or if the drop changes their status from full-time to part-time.

Resignation Refunds

Adjustments to tuition charges resulting from official resignation (dropping of all courses for the term) are based on the effective date of resignation and in accordance with the federally mandated calculation. Contact the Student Payment Center (412-624-7520) for information on the amount of tuition adjustment.

Optional Payment Plan

Under some circumstances, students may be approved for installment payments in the fall or spring terms. Learn more about the Optional Payment Plan, including dates of payments.