The PBPC is a standing committee of the Pitt Public Health Council. It is composed of one elected faculty member from each department, one elected department chair, director of budget and finance, and one student representative elected annually by the Pitt Public Health student body. The assistant dean for administration and finance and the departmental administrators are ex-officio, non-voting members. The chair of the PBPC must be chosen from the selected faculty representatives currently serving on the committee at their first meeting of the academic year. This meeting will be chaired by the outgoing chair. The election will be by secret ballot, with the results tallied immediately by the committee support staff person. The president of the FSEC will inform the Pitt Public Health Council of the results.
Charge of the Committee
- Maintain and distribute to all faculty the charges and standard operating procedures (SOP) for planning and budgetary matters.
- Updated the charges, with full review and re-approval at least every five years or when major changes in Pitt Public Health or University policy occur.
- Develop and recommend to the Pitt Public Health Council equitable policies and procedures for allocation of University transfer funds, endowment and research development funds (RDF) taking into account the academic programs and appropriate balance between hard and soft money sources.
- Provide advice to the Dean and Pitt Public Health Council on issues which have financial implications for the expenditure of University transfer, endowment, and RDF return to the School. Issues include creation of new educational programs, termination of educational programs, decreases in funding streams, changes in major research initiatives which could impact the RDF allocations, expenditure of funds allocated for capital improvement and others.
- Review and make recommendations to the Dean and Pitt Public Health Council on proposed reallocation of funds among departments.
- Represent the faculty of the Pitt Public Health in the University of Pittsburgh planning and budgeting process.
- Provide advice to the Dean and Pitt Public Health Council concerning Pitt Public Health planning and budgeting matters.
- Meet on a monthly basis, or more often as necessary to accomplish its charge. Interim meetings may be called, at any time, by the Chairperson or at request of three or more members or at request of Pitt Public Health Council.
- Form ad hoc subcommittees as may be necessary, to accomplish its charge effectively.
- Make regular oral reports to the Pitt Public Health Council and provide a report summarizing its activities at least once each year at the School-wide faculty meeting.
Terms of Office for Committee Members
The elected faculty members of the PBPC serve three-year staggered terms. Elections to replace members, whose terms have expired, are held annually (see Section 9). Faculty members may serve two successive terms and, thereafter, only following an interval of three years after the completion of the second term. Once an individual is elected as the committee chair, the term of office as committee chair continues until the individual’s term of office as a faculty representative to the PBPC expires. An individual can serve repeated tenure as chair as long as he/she is a faculty representative of the PBPC.
Samar El Khoudary, committee chair
Jennifer Palaski, assistant dean for administration and finance
Karen Marie Perkins, administrator
The PBPC generally holds closed meetings the third Tuesday of each month from 11 a.m.–noon.